The votes have been cast and the winners chosen in a competition to find the best spring photo of the New Forest.
A dozing donkey, galloping ponies and an adorable fox cub were among the prize winning images in the spring edition of the ‘Seasonal Snaps’ photo contest, which received a record number of entries.
The regular competition, organised by the New Forest National Park Authority, attracted over 2,000 votes across more than 300 photos between 22 April and 6 May, with entrants hoping to inspire people to cherish the beauty of spring in the New Forest.
Photographers submitted their springtime photos of the New Forest on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram and three winners were chosen by a public vote on the National Park Authority’s Facebook page. A fourth winner was chosen by a judging panel. The winners are:
- First – Suzanne Singleton, ‘Dozing in the spring sun’
- Second – Keith Talbot, ‘The watering hole at Holmsley’
- Third – Karen Woodward, ‘Quick! The next bus is due any minute’
- Judges’ pick – Lara Maskell, ‘Fox cub by its den’.
Competition judge Alan Sutton, from Pennington, near Lymington, said: ‘The quality has risen yet again this year and the subject matter submitted showed impressive diversity.
‘To me, spring is a time of new life and Lara’s photo fits this brief perfectly, as well as being very well captured, making her a worthy judges’ pick. Congratulations to her and the three vote winners and thank you to everyone else for entering and making the competition what it is.’
Each of the four winners received one of several prizes, kindly donated by businesses:
- An overnight stay for two guests at New Park Manor, near Brockenhurst (www.newparkmanorhotel.co.uk), including breakfast, a 25 minute massage or facial per person, full use of the spa facilities and a bottle of Prosecco on arrival
- Family ticket to the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu (www.beaulieu.co.uk)
- Three course lunch for two at The Pig, Brockenhurst (www.thepighotel.com)
- Family ticket on the New Forest Tour between 27 June and 13 September (www.thenewforesttour.info).
Seasonal Snaps runs three times each year – for further details and the 2015 competition dates visit www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/seasonalsnaps.