The Warren Copse and Holbury Manor Conservation Group are a small, friendly group of volunteers who are endeavouring to assist in managing Holbury Manor Park and Warren Copse under the guidance of the Warren Copse Management Plan and the HLS management plan for the Holbury Manor Park.
Holbury Manor was acquired by Fawley Parish Council over a number of years, with the purchase of the land at the bottom end, which included the ponds and moated area, and was designated as an Ancient Monument Site in 1979.
The rest of the Manor area was acquired as 106 agreement donations by developers who were developing the other areas of the original Manor Estate.
The final section was developed by Shapton Close in 1996.
Warren Copse was owned by a development speculator, who realising that they would not be allowed to build on it, subsequently sold it in 2002 to a local resident.
In 2009 the Parish Council were offered the chance to purchase it using the Parish 106 agreement contributions held by NFDC and acquired the copse to supplement the area of Holbury Manor they already owned.
Following a Public Meeting in October 2009, it was agreed to form the Warren Copse and Holbury Manor Conservation Group which has some 21 members, 17 being active.
The area was included within the New Forest National Park when it was designated in 2005.
The Manor Park and Warren Copse are 10.45 hectares (25.8 Acres) in size, split nearly in half between the Manor Park and Warren Copse and the area has been designated as a Site of Importance for Nature Conservation (SINC).
The Manor Park and Copse is all that is left of the original Holbury Manor.
It was first created from Forest Waste land in the 12 Century in about 1180, and stretched from Rollestone Road to the south, Long Lane to the east and to just beyond the Hardley roundabout to the north.
In the mid 13 Century in about 1260 it was taken over by the Beaulieu Abbey as one of its Granges.
It was used as a farm growing wheat, oats, vetch and peas.
They also created ponds to farm fish, mainly Carp which was used as currency and gifts.
In 1538 following the dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII the Manor reverted to private ownership.
Although the previous Manor buildings were in the Moated Area, the new owner in 1543 Thomas Pace built a new house on the present site on higher ground which was finished in about 1550.
It was rebuilt in the 17 Century much looking as it is today, although the new building was rebuilt again recently in the old style, but as three houses.
In 1951 the new tenant Mr Wiltshire began to farm the 53 acres that was left of the farm, and he lived in the Manor House.
He had an interest in the history of the site, and with the help of the Southampton Museum Service undertook test pit archaeological investigations around the farm and the moated area.
Pottery from the later Iron Age, New Forest Ware and Coarse Ware from the later Romano/British period was found.
In addition some broken medieval encaustic tiles and pottery were found from the period when the area was part of the grange of Beaulieu Abbey.
There may have been occupation in the area from the Iron Age, followed on after by the Roman occupation.
The route of the Roman Road from Lepe to Dibden may have crossed the Holbury Manor site.
It has not yet been established when the moated area was constructed, but as the private ownership only lasted 60 years before it was taken over by Beaulieu Abbey, it was probably constructed by the monks to enclose their accommodation.
Very little is known of the history of Warren Copse, although there is evidence that it has been used in the past, possibly to supplement the farm activities.
On the lower banks there is extensive hazel that probably was coppiced over the years to make fencing and wattle etc.
It is an ancient and semi-natural woodland with many veteran oaks, extensive ash, birch and wild cherry dominating the canopy.
The understory is mainly of hazel with hawthorn, holly, elder and field maple also present.
The landscape has been shaped by human involvement over the years, with the creation of the moated area, and the pond system.
Even the grassed areas have had varying degrees of building remains, and ancient drains have been damaged by ploughing over the years.
Holbury Manor Park will be developed as an area for recreation, amenity and nature conservation for the local community.
The woodlands will be managed sensitively.
Access across the site and through Warren Copse has been improved with the main footpath through having been dedicated as a Public Right of Way, and the minor paths being cleared and widened for easier access.
The surrounding habitats will be managed to conserve and enhance the biodiversity of the area.
The archaeological features will be protected and managed according to English Heritage guidelines.
It is hoped that Holbury Manor Park will be used by local conservation groups and school children, as a valuable educational resource.
The Warren Copse and Holbury Manor Conservation Group meet each month on the first Saturday and the following second Wednesday and work from 9.30 to 12.30 with a break for tea or coffee and a chat.
At this time of year we are coppicing areas of hazel known as coups which ensures that the trees increase in vigour.
In the spring we will be rewarded with swathes of bluebells in the open spaces we have created.
We welcome new members who would like to join us in managing this wonderful landscape.
If you are interested please contact Eddie Holtham at HOLTHAM@aol.com or 023 8089 4632